IS Chronology & Awards
August 29, 2007
• January 1999 – The Lexus IS compact sport sedan is shown at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit and plans to sell the vehicle in mid-2000 are announced.
• January 2000 – Lexus debuts the production 2001 IS 300 compact sport sedan at the Los Angeles Auto Show.
• June 2000 – The IS 300 goes on sale.
• October 2000 – Lexus introduces the IS 300 pace car for the CART/FedEx Championship.
• January 2001 – Lexus unveils the IS 300 SportCross and the IS 300 5-speed manual transmission sport sedan at the NAIAS.
• April 2001 ¬– Team Lexus debuts two IS 300 racecars in the 2001 Grand-Am Cup North American Street Stock Series.
• April 2001 – Team Lexus debuts the IS 300 luxury sport sedan in Grand-Am Cup competition. The IS was competitive immediately and scored its first pole position in its fourth race and first race win in the fifth round at Virginia International Raceway.
• August 2001 – The all-new IS 300 SportCross and IS 300 5-speed manual transmission models go on sale.
• August 2001 – The IS 300 L-Tuned is launched as a limited edition in the western states.
• March 2003 – Lexus added a distinctively sporty new edition of the IS 300 sport sedan with the introduction of the IS 300 SportDesign. IS 300 SportDesign Edition provides several exclusive enhancements including a special grille, fender emblems, special exhaust tailpipe, 11-spoke 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels, black pearl trim around the headlights, fog lights and taillights, and Thundercloud Metallic as exclusive exterior color.
• March 2005 – Lexus unveils the all-new IS 350 sport sedan at the New York International Auto Show.
• October 2005 – Lexus introduces all-new second-generation IS 250 and IS 350 models. Both feature new high-performance V6 engines. IS 250 offers an all-wheel-drive option, and the IS 350 is equipped with new Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system.
• September 2006 – New "X Package option for the rear-wheel drive models and Premium Package standard for IS 250 AWD model.
• January 2007 – All-new 2008 IS F introduced at the North American International Auto Show
• September 2007 – MY08 IS models gain improved steering feel; revised front seatbacks provide more rear legroom.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
• November 2000 – Popular Science gives its "Best of What's New" award to the IS 300.
• May 2002 – Insurance Institute for Highway Safety names IS 300 "Best Pick."
• November 2002 – Team Lexus and their Lexus IS 300 racecars captured both the team and driver 2002 Sport Touring Class Championships in their second year of Grand-Am Cup Series competition
• May 2005 – The Lexus IS 300 is ranked highest in the entry luxury segment in the Initial Quality StudySM (IQS) by J.D. Power and Associates.
• January 2006 – The IS 350 wins Ward's 10 Best Engines award for 2006 with its 3.5 liter DOHC V6
• June 2006 – J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality (IQS) award in the Entry Premium Car segment.
• June 2006 – The IS 250/350 "Most Appealing Entry Premium Car" in the J.D Power and Associates APEAL Study.
• 2007 Kelley Blue Book Best Resale Value Award, Top 10 Category.
• CNET Editors' Choice Award.