Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky, Inc. (TMMK)
is Toyota’s largest vehicle manufacturing plant in the world.*
550,000 vehicles and 600,000 engines
Lexus ES 350 / Camry sedan / Camry Hybrid sedan/ Avalon sedan / Avalon Hybrid sedan / 4-cylinder & V6 engines / axles steering components / machined blocks / cylinder heads / crankshafts / camshafts / rods & axle assemblies / dies
Stamping, die manufacturing, body weld, paint, plastics, vehicle assembly, engine/axle machining and assembly
Current Full-time Employment:
More than 8,000 (all-time high)
Wilbert W. (Wil) James, Jr.
Total facility size:
8.1 million sq. ft.
(Equal to 169 football fields under roof)
350+ parts and commodities supplier locations in the U.S.; 100+ located in Kentucky
Total investment since 2013:
Toyota’s record investment of $1.33 billion to introduce Toyota New Global Architecture and other next generation improvements will position the plant for long term success. In addition to TNGA improvements, TMMK will undergo other makeovers that will, together, modernize and streamline the production process. That includes updating equipment and construction of an all-new paint shop.
- In 2016, Toyota produced more than 2-milliion vehicles in North America and TMMK produced more than 500,000 of them – that’s almost 25 percent of total vehicle production in North America.
- Total vehicle production in North America since 1986 is more than 30 million. More than one-third – 11 million – of those vehicles were made in Georgetown.
*based on capacity
What is TNGA?
- TMMK is the first vehicle assembly facility in North America to incorporate Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA).
- The next generation 2018 Toyota Camry will be the first vehicle produced using TNGA in North America.
- In 2015, production of the Lexus ES 350 began, marking the first time a Lexus vehicle was made in the U.S. More than 1.5 million training hours and an investment of $360 million went into bringing Lexus’ best-selling sedan on-line at TMMK.
Toyota New Global Architecture. TNGA represents a completely new strategy to the way the company designs, engineers, and manufactures its vehicles. In addition, it will shorten the development cycle for vehicle improvements and new vehicles. TNGA retains all of Toyota’s traditional values of exceptional build quality and safety while injecting a fun driving experience with more responsive handling, regardless of the model.
What will TNGA do for TMMK?
TNGA will allow TMMK to be a more flexible production environment, which will position the plant to compete globally for new models, build ever-better cars, and respond quicker and more capably to market demands down the road.
TMMK’s impact on the Commonwealth
A recent study by the Center for Automotive Research shows Toyota Kentucky supports nearly 30,000 jobs across the state (direct, indirect, and spin-off). TMMK employees live in 80 Kentucky counties, and there are more than 100 suppliers located across the Commonwealth.