Practicality meets luxury with the 2018 GX 460 SUV, a work-to-weekend warrior that’s as at home on the trail as it is in the city or suburbs.
Underscoring the three-row GX 460’s all-weather capability and comfort that seats up to seven passengers, the heated/ventilated front seats are available as a standalone option for the base model (standard on the Premium and Luxury models). In addition, the top-line GX 460 now offers captain’s chairs for the second-row seating in the Sport Design Package.
The Lexus signature spindle grille gives the GX 460 a distinctive, standout style. The Sport Design Package puts an extra accent on that design with special details such as an exclusive front bumper, rear bumper spoiler, special exhaust tailpipe tip, a redesigned side mirror case, scarlet taillamps and unique 18-inch split-six spoke alloy wheels.
One Vehicle, Two Ways
Easy maneuverability and the comfort of the GX 460 make it an ideal contender for the modern family. A dual-purpose vehicle, the luxury SUV can go from the office to an active, demanding 4x4 environment on the weekend without looking out of place. The standard and sole engine is a 301-horsepower 4.6-liter V8 that issues 329 lb.-ft. of peak torque. Combine that with 6,500-lb. towing capacity, and you’ve got an ideal boat hauler. Towing is aided with Trailer Sway Control, a function of the Vehicle Stability Control that enhances straight-line tracking.
Light on Pavement
A key to the GX 460’s dual personalities is its standard Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS), which helps to significantly reduce body lean without resorting to stiffer springs and dampers. Lexus made the stabilizer bars stiffer to help reduce maximum body-lean angle by as much as 50 percent.Hydraulic cylinders act on each stabilizer bar, and linked by a pressure-sensing valve, they continually vary the lean resistance. During on-road cornering, when both front and rear hydraulic cylinders are in a neutral position, no fluid flows in the system and the stabilizer bars work conventionally to help reduce body lean.
Driving in off-road situations, KDSS is designed to reduce sway resistance, which allows the wheels to move with a larger degree of side-to-side independence. When the GX 460 encounters an uneven surface, one compressed cylinder causes fluid to flow to the other cylinder, helping the vehicle to keep all four wheels on the ground. The system works without any action needed by the driver.
The GX 460 has another ace up its fender for on-road smoothness. Available Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) uses electronically controlled dampers that adjust to road surface conditions. The driver can tailor ride and handling characteristics by selecting from among Normal, Sport or Comfort modes.
Full Four-Wheel Drive Capability
In today’s world, a full-capability SUV means the ability to casually traverse highways and grocery store parking lots while also offering the ability for an off-road excursion. That’s why the Lexus GX 460 uses a full-time automatic four-wheel drive system that can enhance everyday handling on the pavement as well as on the trails.
torque-sensing limited slip center differential distributes power 40:60 under most driving conditions and changes the ratio as needed based on wheel slip. The system offers a low range for off-road driving, and the center differential can be electronically locked.
Driving through a curve on pavement, for example, the Torsen differential can change the torque split to 30:70 to enhance vehicle tracking. If wheels spin, the center differential can change the ratio to 50:50 to help control slippage. The system can respond to sudden changes in road-surface conditions, such as driving through a puddle or over an ice patch.
A two-speed transfer case with low range is supported by a wide array of chassis control technology. With Downhill Assist Control (DAC), Hill-start Assist Control (HAC), Active Traction Control (A-TRAC), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and available Crawl Control, the GX 460 has the ability to roam unpaved, uneven trails and steep inclines.
In some off-road conditions, where the driver might have a hard time knowing which direction the front wheels are pointing – the GX 460 comes with a standard steering angle indicator in the gauge panel. A-TRAC provides the traction benefits of having locking front and rear differentials, but with lower weight. The system can apply the brake to a slipping wheel, while transferring torque to the wheels with better traction.
Crawl Control – Tackling the Steep Declines
Trail drivers who encounter steep and rocky hills know well the skill and concentration needed to manipulate the throttle, brake and steering to help keep the vehicle moving forward securely. The GX 460 makes it easier with available Crawl Control, which automatically modulates the throttle and brake, allowing the driver to concentrate on steering.
Engaged when the vehicle is in low range, Crawl Control allows the vehicle to move forward or in reverse at one of five driver-selectable low-speed settings. Crawl Control also engages the front and rear “virtual” locking differentials to help reduce tire slippage and optimize chassis behavior. Crawl Control can also help the driver navigate the GX 460 through sand, mud or snow.
The GX 460’s multimedia system is a multitasker, offering a customizable home screen that can display three sections simultaneously. For example, you can view a single display (navigation/map), dual display (navigation/map + audio, compass or other function) or three displays on the same screen (navigation/map + audio + weather). The available Navigation System’s three-dimensional map view makes it an even more effective driving partner.
The touch-screen Display Audio uses an eight-inch screen that includes a backup camera, HD Radio™
audio, automatic phone book transfer, a vehicle information display and complimentary traffic and weather data provided via HD Radio. The system also incorporates cache radio, which can pause live radio, recording up to 15 minutes of broadcast for later playback. Drivers with an iPhone®
(iPhone 4S and later) can get things done just by asking through standard Siri®
Eyes Free Mode. Siri lets you call contacts, select and play music from iTunes®
, get turn-by-turn navigation through Siri and Apple®
maps, and much more.
Advanced Safety Systems
The Lexus GX 460 also goes above and beyond with safety features. Technologies that exemplify the brand’s forward thinking are found in the optional Driver Support Package, which includes the Pre-Collision System (PCS), Driver Attention Monitor, Lane Departure Alert (LDA), Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Outside Rear View Mirror (camera + Blind Spot Monitor indicator) and a Wide-view Front and Side Camera that is designed to enhance visibility in tight settings and around corners. Dynamic Radar Cruise Control uses millimeter-wave radar to measure and help maintain a pre-set following distance from a vehicle traveling ahead.
The Driver Attention Monitor helps to address a growing safety concern, that of driver inattention. The innovative system uses a camera to monitor the orientation of the driver’s face. If it determines that the driver is not facing forward when an obstacle is detected by PCS, a warning chime and a warning display convey alerts. If the driver doesn’t respond as the vehicle closes on the obstacle, the next level of warning is PCS gently applying the brakes. At the same time, the system automatically retracts the front seatbelts and prepares the brake system to respond with increased force when you apply the brake pedal.
By monitoring visible lane markings, Lane Departure Alert can detect unintentional lane departure and sound a warning buzzer and display a visual alert. Also part of the Driver Support Package, Intelligent High Beam brings courtesy and safety to the road by automatically switching high beams to low when meeting oncoming vehicles or approaching vehicles from the rear.
Connected and Informed with Lexus Enform®
When equipped with the available Navigation System, the GX 460 also comes with a one-year complimentary subscription to Lexus Enform Destination Assist, and the subscription-free Lexus Enform App Suite.
These voice-enabled apps let you search the Internet through Destination Search, make restaurant reservations through OpenTable®
, order movie tickets via MovieTickets.com™
, listen to Internet radio (including Pandora®
and Slacker), and search business reviews on Yelp®
All 2018 Lexus vehicles include Lexus Enform®
Safety Connect featuring Automatic Collision Notification, Stolen Vehicle Location, Emergency Assist Button, Enhanced Roadside Assistance and Lexus Enform Safety Connect and Lexus Enform Destination Assist (includes a complimentary one-year subscription).
Lexus drivers can also opt in for Lexus Enform Service Connect with a complimentary one-year subscription included. This service allows customers to remotely view information about certain aspects of their Lexus vehicle via the MyLexusandBeyond mobile application for iOS smartphone users or LexusDrivers.com for others. Information includes maintenance alerts, warning light notifications and a vehicle health report that includes email and push notifications for diagnostic information, required maintenance reminders, current vehicle alerts, service campaigns, and more.
Available Lexus Enform Remote (one-year subscription included) allows the owner to remotely view and control certain vehicle features using a mobile app for iOS and Android devices. Key features include remote door lock/unlock, remote stop/start for the engine and climate control, vehicle finder, guest driver monitor and more.
What’s New for 2018
- Semi-Aniline bench seat on Luxury grade becomes standard
- Captain’s chairs now included in Sport Design Package on Luxury trim
- Robust body-on-frame construction.
- Available Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) features three modes: Normal, Sport and Comfort (GX 460 Luxury).
- Available Adjustable Height Control (AHC) helps enhance the vehicle’s flexibility in a wide range of driving situations (GX 460 Luxury).
- Hill-start Assist Control (HAC) provides additional control for off-road driving by helping to keep the vehicle from rolling backward while starting on a steep incline.
- Downhill Assist Control (DAC) is designed to augment the low-speed descending ability of the transmission's low range by helping to hold the vehicle to a target speed with no intervention from the driver.
- 18-inch alloy wheels with 265/60R18 mud and snow tires.
- Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) with 10 airbags: advanced driver and front passenger airbags; front seat-mounted side airbags; driver and front passenger knee airbags; second-row seat-mounted side airbags (outboard), and roll-sensing side curtain airbags covering all three rows.
- Active front headrests move up and forward almost instantly in the event of certain types of rear-end collisions.
- Standard 10-way power-adjustable front seats; automatic dual-zone climate control; steering wheel audio controls; power moonroof; memory system for the driver's seat, steering wheel and outside mirror positions, and integrated HomeLink® transmitter.
- The versatile passenger-side second row seat slides 5.3 inches fore/aft to maximize passenger and cargo carrying ability.
- The foldable and reclining second row seats feature a 60/40 walk-in function to access the available power fold-flat third row seats.
- The tailgate window has a flip-up glass panel for added convenience.
- Standard Lexus nine-speaker Premium Sound System with iPod®/USB connectivity, Bluetooth® hands free phone capability and music streaming, and an integrated SiriusXM® Satellite Radio receiver (complimentary 90-day subscription included).
- Standard rear back-up camera displays images on the eight-inch Display Audio screen, or the optional navigation system’s LCD display.
- 17-speaker Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound Audio system with 330-watts output at less than 0.1 percent Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL), 7.1 channel architecture.
- Rear Seat Entertainment (RSE) system includes two LCD screens, one in each of the front seat backrests, two wireless headphones, HDMI input, 12-volt connector in the rear console, and remote control.
- Driver Support Package (GX 460 Luxury) includes Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Driver Attention Monitor and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control; Lane Departure Alert; and Wide-view Front and Side Camera that is designed to enhance visibility in tight settings, such as parking garages, and to help the driver’s view around corners when pulling out of parking spaces into traffic or stopped at intersections and T-junctions; Crawl Control; Mark Levinson Audio System; Intelligent High Beams
- Intuitive Parking Assist helps the driver detect obstacles at the front, rear or corners of the vehicle and helps guide the GX into a garage or parking spaces. (Available on GX460; standard on GX 460 Premium and GX 460 Luxury).
- 48-months/50,000-mile basic limited warranty with roadside assistance for 48 months/unlimited miles.
- 72 months/70,000 miles powertrain and restraint system coverage.
- 72 months corrosion perforation protection coverage, regardless of mileage.