- Lexus Enform Safety Connect and Service Connect now Complimentary for 10 Years
- Newly Available Premium Package on Hybrid Model Offers Luxury and Comfort
- New RX 450h Base Model with Standalone Options Available
- New Silver Metallic Finish on 18” Wheels
Two years after its introduction, the fourth-generation RX sees several changes for 2018. Most notably, the Enform Safety Connect and Enform Service Connect are now complimentary for the first 10 years of ownership. Both were previously offered with a one year trial.
In addition, the newly available Premium Package (RX 450h) offers luxury and comfort for hybrid drivers and passengers with power-folding auto-dimming mirrors with memory, premium wood trim, leather-trimmed seating surfaces, rear armrest with storage box, driver seat memory, and steering wheel memory.
Model of Distinction
While the Lexus RX has always offered an ideal combination of SUV versatility and luxury sedan-like comfort, this best-selling vehicle stands out in the segment with a dramatic mix of sharp creases and curves. The focal point of the front is the Lexus signature spindle grille, set off by an elegant chrome-plated surround and standard Bi-LED headlights.
The available L-shaped premium LED headlights use three unique L-shaped elements per side. The spindle theme repeats at the rear, where L-shaped LED taillights envelop the tailgate and wrap into the rear fenders. Capping off the design, quite literally, is a floating-roof effect created by elegantly blacked-out C-pillars. Where the rubber meets the road, there’s a choice of three 20-inch wheel designs.
All eleven RX paint colors feature a scratch-resistant self-restoring coat, using high-performance macromolecular polymer.
Impeccable Cabin Design and Luxury
The RX cabin is designed with impeccable details, including the satin brushed-aluminum trim (F SPORT only), form-fitting seats, and the available richly finished wood trim (Premium and Luxury Packages) that curves gently up from the center console toward the glove box.
There’s ample room for five in the RX models, with a lowered rear floor providing a seating position comparable to that in the Lexus LS flagship luxury sedan. Behind the rear seats, there’s enough space to carry up to four large suitcases or multiple golf bags. The available Touch-Free Power Rear Door opens by placing a hand near the Lexus emblem.
Available interior ornamentation includes Matte Bamboo, Espresso Walnut, Matte Linear Dark Mocha Wood, Striated Black Trim, and Gray Sapele Wood with Aluminum. For the Striated Black Trim on the base model, a glossy black three-dimensional embossed pattern is applied to create a high-quality film design with a sense of depth.
An available full-color Heads-Up Display (HUD) incorporated into the design of the instrument panel can project key information on the windshield to help the driver focus on the road ahead.
RX 350: V6
The Lexus RX 350 will continue to offer its most powerful V6 engine with 295 hp and 268 lb.-ft. of torque. The 3.5-liter engine’s D-4S fuel injection system combines direct and port fuel injection systems. To maximize torque and efficiency, Variable Valve Timing- intelligent Wide (VVT-iW) is used on the intake camshaft, along with VVT-i on the exhaust camshaft.
Even with its high compression ratio, the RX 350’s V6 takes regular-grade gas. The FWD model received an EPA-estimated 27 highway MPG. In both FWD and AWD versions, the engine is teamed to an eight-speed automatic transmission.
FWD or AWD
The Lexus RX 350 offers the choice between front-wheel drive and Dynamic Torque Control AWD. This advanced AWD system takes input from various sensors (such as wheel speed, engine RPM, steering angle, throttle opening angle and yaw rate) to actively govern torque distribution to the rear wheels using an electromagnetically controlled coupling in the rear differential.
Under normal cruising conditions, the system engages front-wheel drive to help reduce fuel consumption. Dynamic Torque Control automatically shifts to AWD when accelerating to help prevent front-wheel slippage, or when sensors detect wheel slippage, varying front to rear torque distribution 100:0 to 50:50. The 4.2” TFT multi-information display conveys torque-distribution status (front and rear, and side to side).
RX 450h Hybrid: The Most Powerful RX
Lexus introduced the world’s first luxury hybrid vehicle- a gas/electric version of the RX luxury-utility vehicle- more than a decade ago. The RX 450h continues to serve as a powerful reminder of the brand’s hybrid leadership, with 308 combined system horsepower for powerful performance and impressive 30 mpg combined EPA-estimated fuel economy.
The Lexus Hybrid Drive system pairs the D4-S injection 3.5-liter V6 gasoline engine with two high-torque electric drive motor-generators for strong acceleration and passing performance. Instead of transfer gears and a driveshaft to the rear wheels, the available all-weather drive system employs a second, independent electric motor to drive the rear wheels when needed to help maintain optimal traction.
Drive Mode Select
Drivers can exert more control over the RX by choosing from several driving modes. Normal provides an ideal everyday balance of performance and energy conservation. Sport puts an edge on powertrain responsiveness, and Eco mode operates the powertrain at its most efficient level. For the RX 450 fourth mode, EV, enables electric power at lower speeds for short distances. “SPORT S” mode enhances throttle response and acceleration feel while also sharpening the feel of the EPS system. The F SPORT package adds “SPORT S+” mode, which activates a firmer suspension setting in the AVS for flatter cornering. With the “CUSTOMIZE” mode for F SPORT, you can create a unique driving mode by combining powertrain and chassis settings.
Ride and Handling
Front MacPherson and rear double wishbone type suspension systems ensure agility without sacrificing the trademark RX smooth and quiet ride. Electric Power Steering (EPS) yields a light and comfortable steering feel with excellent feedback.
Standard on the F SPORT model, the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) adjusts the damping force according to road surface conditions. With Drive Mode Select, the driver can tailor the RX 350’s driving responses and feel, choosing from among distinct drive settings depending upon vehicle model and equipment. “ECO” mode moderates engine power output, throttle response and the climate control system for optimized fuel efficiency. “NORMAL” provides an optimal balance of performance and fuel efficiency.
In addition to the standard AVS and 20-inch wheels to sharpen agility, the F SPORT models give the RX a major design and cabin transformation. The exterior is intensified with an exclusive blackout mesh grille, lower spoiler section and satin-finish chrome-plated lower protector. Black side mirrors match the grille, and exclusive 20-inch 10-spoke aluminum alloy wheels and subtle but distinctive F SPORT badging round out the expressive exterior.
Inside, the driver faces an 8-inch LCD instrument cluster inspired by the Lexus LFA supercar. The design artistically combines a tachometer and digital speed indicator, and also provides real-time information such as G-force metrics, navigation information, torque distribution (for AWD model) and more.
Highly supportive quilted seats, reserved for the F SPORT, are available in an exclusive and stirring color, Rioja Red. The F SPORT treatment adds a unique perforated leather-wrapped shift lever and three-spoke sport steering wheel with F SPORT badge, aluminum interior trim accents and drilled non-slip lightweight aluminum pedals, including a foot rest.
An F SPORT exclusive, a sound generator enhances driving experience, using air intake pulsations to bolster the sound of the engine under acceleration.
From powerful audio to cutting-edge displays, the multimedia available for the Lexus RX models covers all needs. The standard Display Audio system includes an eight-inch screen, HD Radio™, Scout GPS Link, Bluetooth® audio, voice recognition, an auxiliary mini jack, two USB ports and nine speakers for the RX 350 and for the RX 450h. The driver will find frequently used switches placed close at hand for convenience.
From that strong starting point, drivers can upgrade the RX 350 and 450h to a 12-speaker premium audio system with Navigation. Also available, a 12.3-inch high-resolution split-screen multimedia display offers a full-screen navigation map or can provide simultaneous access to audio or climate controls and various systems. The option includes the mouse-like Remote Touch Interface.
For the best in audiophile-quality mobile sound, all RX models offer the available 835-watt, 15-speaker Mark Levinson Premium Surround System in conjunction with navigation. Advanced Clari-Fi™ compressed music restoration technology breathes new life into digital music files.
What’s New for 2018
- Sunroof and Blind Spot Monitoring System now available on base model
- Available New Premium Package (RX 450h only) and repositioned base model
- Enform Safety Connect Complimentary for First 10 Years of Ownership
- Enform Service Connect Complimentary for First 10 Years of Ownership
- 295-horsepower, 3.5-liter V6 engine.
- 8-speed Electronically Controlled Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i).
- Available Active Torque Control AWD system uses an electronically controlled coupling ahead of the rear differential to vary torque distribution anywhere from 100:0 to 50:50 front to rear, depending on driving dynamics and road conditions.
- Lexus Hybrid Drive with 3.5-liter V6 engine, Motor Generator 1, Motor Generator 2 and a planetary-type electronic continuously variable transmission (eCVT).
- 308 total system horsepower.
- Standard AWD with independent rear electric motor generator.
- 37 kW nickel metal hydride (Ni-MH) hybrid battery.
- A number of cutting-edge technologies enhance structural rigidity, including high-tech body adhesives and laser screw welding; liberal use of high-tensile strength steel throughout the vehicle, and a new process called annular frame construction for strengthened frame sections around the front and rear doors.
- F SPORT is equipped with standard Adaptive Variable Suspension and adds Sport S+ drive mode in the Drive Mode Select system.
- 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 235/65R18 tires; 20-inch wheels are available (included with F SPORT).
- Lexus Safety System+ includes Pre-Collision System (PCS) and Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist, Intelligent High Beam (IHB) and All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.
- Rain sensing wipers
- Rear seat belt reminders
- Available Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- 10 SRS airbags including dual-stage and dual-chamber driver’s and front passenger airbags; driver’s and front passenger knee airbags; front side airbags; rear side airbags and full-length side curtain airbags for front and rear passengers.
- 4-sensor, four-channel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), Traction Control (TRAC), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Hill-start Assist Control.
- Additionally, Smart Stop Technology automatically reduces engine power when there is simultaneous application of the brake pedal and accelerator pedal under certain conditions.
- Active front headrests help to reduce the severity of a whiplash injury in the event of certain types of lower speed rear collisions.
- Panoramic View Monitor (optional).
- 10-way power front seats with power two-way lumbar adjustment.
- Acoustic glass windshield.
- Customizable vehicle settings, including personal door-lock preferences, interior/exterior light adjustments, driver’s seat Easy Exit, and window-closure settings.
- Dual-zone automatic climate control with interior air filter.
- Leather-wrapped three-spoke steering wheel with integrated audio controls.
- Lexus Display Audio, 8-inch color multimedia display, 9 speakers with Scout GPS Link featuring turn-by-turn directions via smartphone.
- Perforated NuLuxe interior trim.
- Power liftgate.
- Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column.
- SmartAccess with push-button Start/Stop.
- Subscription-free Traffic and Weather updates via HD Radio™.
Luxury Options (Highlights)
- Premium Package includes power-folding auto-dimming mirrors with memory, wood trim, leather seats, rear armrest with storage box and driver seat memory.
- Luxury Package includes contents of Premium Package plus Panorama glass roof, 20-inch super chrome alloy wheels with machined finish, heated and ventilated front seats, heated wood steering wheel, and semi-aniline leather trimmed seating.
- Optional 15-speaker Mark Levinson® Surround Sound system.
- Optional Navigation Package with 12.3-inch screen, Remote Touch Navigation controller, advanced voice control, Lexus Enform® App Suite, Lexus Enform® Destinations, HD Radio with iTunes ® Tagging and more.
- 48 months/50,000 miles basic limited warranty with roadside assistance for 48 months/unlimited miles.
- 72 months/70,000 miles powertrain and restraint system coverage.
- 72 months corrosion perforation protection coverage, regardless of mileage.
- Hybrid System Warranty coverage is for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first, and covers the following components: hybrid control module, hybrid battery control module, hybrid battery and inverter with converter.