- Lexus Safety System+ Made Standard,
- Display Audio System Adds Scout GPS Link
- Standard 268-hp V6
Consider it a promise kept. Last year, Lexus introduced the Lexus Safety System+ package as an option for the ES 350. For 2017, this comprehensive safety system is now standard. It’s part of the brand’s promise to equip most models with an automatic braking safety system by the end of 2017. Lexus Safety System+ includes Pre-Collision System (PCS), Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist, Intelligent High Beam (IHB) and High-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.
The ES 350 received a significant style and cabin freshening for 2016, and for 2017 also adds the Scout® GPS Link to its standard Display Audio system. With the app on the driver’s smartphone, navigation maps and turn-by-turn directions appear on the car’s central display screen. It’s one more way that Lexus keeps its vehicles in tune with its customers. An integrated Lexus Navigation System remains an option for the ES 350.
Unique Luxury Position
The ES 350 puts Lexus in the distinct position of offering two unique approaches to the entry-luxury category. The ES 350, with front-wheel drive traction, focuses on flagship-type comfort — including 40 inches of rear seat legroom – while the sporty IS models put more emphasis on driving performance. Two different models, two sets of priorities, no compromises.
The ES 350 delivers strong and efficient performance from a standard 268-hp 3.5-liter V6 engine, on regular-grade gas. It’s teamed to an ultra-smooth six-speed automatic transmission.
Lexus Safety System+
Bringing to bear a series of advanced technologies, Lexus Safety System+ is designed to help the driver avoid collisions, or mitigate their impacts. High-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control works at speeds over 25 mph. It tracks the speed of the vehicle traveling ahead and can adjust the speed setting accordingly to help maintain a preset distance.
Pre-Collision System can detect vehicles – and in certain conditions, pedestrians – by using a
combination of millimeter-wave radar and a front-facing camera. The system can warn the driver of a possible collision and can initiate automatic braking with Brake Assist if necessary.
Using a camera to detect visible lane markings, Lane Departure Alert is designed to convey audio-visual alerts and vibrate the steering wheel if it determines that the driver unintentionally deviated from the lane. Lane Departure Alert, with Steering Assist enabled, can help the vehicle stay in the center of its lane by smoothly increasing steering torque by a small amount.
Intelligent High Beam technology senses headlights from oncoming traffic, and also the taillights of the vehicle traveling in front, and automatically adjusts high- and low-beam illumination. The available Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) helps detect vehicles in side blind spots and alert the driver to rear cross traffic when backing out of a parking space.
The Lexus Definition of Entry Luxury
Lexus ES models have long defied the “entry” part of “entry luxury,” thanks to roomy cabins and comprehensive standard amenities. The 2017 ES 350 upholds that Lexus tradition with a rear seat offering 40 inches of legroom. The standard equipment roster is likewise generous with 10-way adjustable power front seats; automatic climate control; NuLuxe perforated upholstery with Illustrious Piano Black trim; a power tilt-and-slide moonroof; power-adjustable outside mirrors with turn signals and defoggers; remote-linked power window and moonroof opening and Lexus Personalized Settings to customize select electronic functions.
Available interior trims include Linear Dark Mocha, Illustrious Piano Black, Espresso Bird’s Eye Maple, and Bamboo with a matte finish. It’s worth noting that all the ES 350’s metallic, pearl and mica exterior paint colors use self-healing clear coat technology – and do not cost extra.
Premium, Luxury and Ultra Luxury Packages present a sensible tiered approach to adding optional amenities. The latter two packages add wood trim on the center console and an improved “emboss” pattern on the seats. The optional Panoramic Roof is available with all packages.
Informing and Entertaining
With smartphones and tablets so prevalent, Lexus used that paradigm for operating its Display Audio system and the Lexus Enform family of information and connectivity services. For 2017, the ES 350 adds the Scout GPS Link to its standard Display Audio system, which features an eight-inch screen and includes HD Radio™, Bluetooth® audio, automatic phone book transfer, a vehicle information display and complimentary traffic and weather data provided via HD Radio. The cache radio feature lets you pause live broadcasts for up to 15-minutes.
With Lexus Enform Remote (one-year trial subscription included), the customer can remotely view and control certain aspects of the vehicle using a mobile app for iOS and Android devices. Once registered, the app can operate remote door lock/unlock; remote stop/start for the engine and climate control; vehicle finder, guest driver monitor and more.
Lexus Enform Safety Connect is standard on all 2017 Lexus vehicles, with access to Lexus Enform response centers 24/7/365. With Lexus Enform Service Connect, the ES 350 can also alert you to specific factory recommended maintenance, simultaneously alerting your preferred Lexus retailer.
Adding the Navigation Package upgrades the display screen to eight inches and brings an array of valuable services to the ES 350 in the form of the Lexus Enform App Suite. This veritable in-car personal concierge includes Lexus Enform Destination Services. Use voice-enabled apps to search the Internet through Destination Search, make restaurant reservations through OpenTable®, get movie tickets via MovieTickets.com™, listen to Internet radio, (including Pandora®, iHeartRadio and Slacker), search business reviews on Yelp®, and check in on Facebook Places™.
The eight-inch screen can be divided into up to three sections to show different functions simultaneously. The navigation system itself provides 3D map with bird’s eye views, predictive traffic information, detour preview, ETA calculation and fuel station locations. Putting numerous vehicle system controls at your fingertips, the available second-generation Remote Touch Interface (RTI) is the easiest way to access multimedia in the ES 350. The computer mouse-like controller on the center console can operate the climate control, audio system, phone, optional navigation system and more.
Menus show in the Display Audio screen. For 2017, a new “Back” button makes using the RTI even easier. iPhone® users have yet another control option, with Siri® Eyes Free Mode. Make calls, select songs from iTunes®, get turn-by-turn navigation through Apple maps, and much more, all by asking Siri.
Premium Sound, a Lexus Tradition
The ES 350’s standard eight-speaker Lexus Premium Sound System offers USB/iPod connectivity, Bluetooth® audio streaming, HD Radio™ with iTunes tagging, and an integrated SiriusXM® Satellite Radio receiver (with all-access 90-day trial subscription).
Once again, pinnacle audio performance in the Lexus ES 350 comes from the Mark Levinson® Premium Sound system, available in conjunction with any option package. Powering 15 speakers with 835-watts, the system turns the car into a private listening room. Borrowing from high-end home audio, Clari-Fi technology can enhance the sound of compressed digital audio (satellite radio, mobile streaming, mp3, etc.).
What’s New for 2017
- Lexus Safety System+ standard.
- Lexus Display Audio adds Scout GPS Link.
- Rain-sensing wipers standard.
- Remote Touch Interface adds “Back” button for easier navigation.
- Front suspension employs opposite-wound coil springs to help enhance straight-line stability.
- High body rigidity achieved through lightweight, high tensile strength steel.
- Airflow is smoothed beneath the vehicle, enhancing driver control and fuel economy.
- Standard 215/55R17 low-rolling resistance tires on 17-inch alloy wheels; 18-inch alloy wheels available.
- 10-way adjustable power front seats
- Automatic climate control system
- NuLuxe perforated upholstery
- Power tilt-and-slide moonroof
- Class-leading rear seat legroom
- Illuminated entry system
- Luxury Options
- Wood steering wheel.
- Heated steering wheel.
- Navigation Package (includes Lexus Enform App Suite and Lexus Enform Destinations.
- Mark Levinson Audio.
- Premium Package with genuine wood trim, perforated NuLuxe seats, power tilt/telescoping steering wheel.
- Luxury Package with Premium Package contents plus climate-control seats, leather-trimmed interior with embossed pattern, wood trim on center console.
- Ultra Luxury Package with Premium and Luxury Package contents plus ambient lighting, driver’s seat cushion extender, power rear sunshade, manual door shades, passenger seat memory, panoramic roof, semi-aniline leather trim.
- Lexus Safety System+ includes Pre-Collision System (PCS), Lane Departure Alert (LDA) with Steering Assist, Intelligent High Beam (IHB) and High-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control.
- 10 airbags as standard equipment, including driver and front passenger knee airbags, driver and front passenger front and seat-mounted side airbags, as well as rear outboard seat-mounted side airbags and front and rear side curtain airbags.
- Whiplash Injury Lessening (WIL) front seats are designed to limit excessive head movement in certain rear-end collisions, helping to decrease the severity of whiplash-type injuries.
- 48-month/50,000 mile basic limited warranty with roadside assistance for 48 months/unlimited miles.
- 72 months/70,000 miles powertrain and restraint system coverage.
- 72 months corrosion perforation protection coverage, regardless of mileage.