The Lexus Fashion Workshop designs to be exhibited at Art Basel Miami Beach
TORRANCE, Calif. (Nov. 29, 2011) — Elevating the notion of recycling to an art form, Lexus challenged four of fashion’s most inventive designers to rethink their notions of automotive design for an advertising campaign to appear in Vogue. Using some of the more than 2,000 individual parts of a completely dismantled Lexus CT hybrid, a vehicle that is 90 percent recyclable*, the designers created fashionable works of art as part of The Lexus Fashion Workshop.
From crank bearings to exhaust gaskets, the designers took on the challenge with verve, turning some of the best engineered auto parts into innovative fashion accessories – all while driving home the beauty of recycling.
- “Environmental Crown of Virtue”—A truly head-turning piece designed by Moss Lipow using a transmission starter and exhaust manifold gasket.
- “The Valve Collection”—Designed by jewelry creator Eddie Borgo using valve lifters, crank bearings and hose clamps.
- “Nomadic Sanctuary”—A sleek trench coat, shorts and clutch designed by John Patrick, featuring floor mats made from plant-based plastic, sustainable sound-dampening material, wire harness, leather seat covers and cargo covers
- “The Luna Shoe”—Created by Alejandro Ingelmo using armrest leather trim and clear plastic tubing.
“Merging the worlds of luxury automobiles, art and fashion is another example of how Lexus is ‘Engineering Amazing’ or maybe more appropriately, ‘Engineering Unexpected’,” said Brian Smith, vice president of marketing for Lexus. “We were able to challenge four designers to turn one of our most progressive hybrid vehicles into innovative fashion pieces, inspiring the designers, and the world, to see things differently.”
The four pieces will be highlighted in a six-page advertisement in the January 2012 issue of Vogue. Behind-the-scenes videos of the Lexus CT hybrid being dismantled piece-by-piece are available at Vogue.com/Promotions/Lexus. Additionally, a series of exclusive interviews with the four designers will be posted throughout December.
The collection will be on display December 1-2, 2011, opening day of Art Basel Miami Beach, one of the most prestigious art show in the Americas. The pieces will be sold at private auction during Art Basel Miami Beach, with proceeds benefiting the Council of Fashion Designers of America/Vogue Fashion Fund (CFDA), a not-for-profit trade association representing more than 400 of America’s foremost womenswear, menswear, jewelry, and accessory designers.
* Based on ISO 22628 standards.
Since its debut in 1989, Lexus has earned a reputation for high-quality products and exemplary customer service from its 229 dealers. Lexus is the luxury hybrid leader, offering five hybrids that provide the best in innovative technology and first-class luxury. When it began, Lexus offered two models of vehicles. Now, more than 20 years later, Lexus offers variations of 10 vehicles, from the sporty CT 200h hybrid to the V10 supercar, the LFA.